So I had to go to Starbucks this morning to retrieve my free pastry with the purchase of an espresso drink (Grande Americano w/h&h). Who knew a "Lowfat" Raspberry Sunshine muffin would have 290 calories! Geesh. And it wasn't even one of those muffins the size of your head - it was a regular, fairly reasonable portion.
breakfast: (see above)
10:30 - 1/2 hr brisk walk
lunch:
JC chicken carbonara
salad w/grilled chicken, sundry free veggies, 2T Asian dressing and 1T. each feta, black beans, dried cranberries.
2:30 - 1/2 hr brisk walk
afternoon snack:
JC granola and yogurt, coffee w/h&h
4:45 - cut and color w/Curtis
7:00 - met Pat, the girls and the dog at Ellenberger Park to watch the Indianapolis Symphony. Very nice time, and randomly met one of my tennis coaches' parents, who happened to be sitting by us and commented on how well-behaved our dog Jenny is. Small world. (Well really, small town!)
dinner:
JC fajita chicken salad kit
JC veggie bruschetta chips
blueberries
2 glasses white wine
(also had very small tastes of Pat and Hazel's feast - lemon orzo salad, grilled chicken salad, rosemary & sea salt bread, and sesame sticks)
If I thought I had mastered the desire for non-diet foods, boy was I wrong. It was a real struggle. I found myself dipping my hand into the container of sesame sticks and bringing it to my mouth without even REALIZING I was doing it.
**********
Lately I feel as though I have been dropping the ball a bit on my fruit intake. As a result I substitute more calorie-laden, less filling options for my remaining calories, so I tend to overeat. Need to get back to having fruit mixed in with my yogurt in the a.m., a fruit with my afternoon snack, and maybe a chocolate yogurt w/fruit in the evening.
Also, the muffin incident this morning (I planned for it, but gee I still didn't think the calories would be so high) made me reflect a bit on what big and unhealthy portions I used to eat, and to marvel at the fact that I wasn't even more overweight as a result. I used to eat a huge chocolate chip "muffin" every morning at work, and then have a cheeseburger and fries or chinese for lunch. (By the way, whoever came up with the idea to sell oversized pieces of cake to gluttons in the morning and call them muffins was a marketing genius.)
This afternoon at the on-site coffee shop, I was looking at their baked goods, and the slices of pound cake they were selling as single servings were probably 500+ calories. They had to be 2 inches thick, and back in the day, I could have downed one in 30 seconds, no problem. Don't get me wrong, I am sure I could still polish one off, but I think I would actually feel VERY FULL if I did that now. Amazing what eating proper portion sizes from JC will do to a person after a while.
This makes me nervous for the time that comes when I fully transition off JC. While I managed things today and this weekend alright by controlling portions of unhealthy things (like the Starbucks muffin or the single cheeseburger and small fries), I know it is a slippery slope and I am a gluttonous person by nature, so I could very quickly snowball that into a nightmare when off of that structure! Once I reach goal, I think I'll still need to ease off JC by doing 3-4 days a week still on program while I model normal healthy foods for a while by myself part-time so I don't blow it.

2 comments:
When I saw that "free pastry" offer from Starbucks I was not at all tempted. Instead, I felt insulted and offended by the company that makes my beloved iced Americanos... How could they do this to the growing obese American public?
And, since those things are mass-produced, I wasn't even interested at all. I would much prefer something from the fabulous bakers at the farmers' market...
Regardless, you did great to look up the calorie info, and you're so much more conscious. I think that you will find a happy balance between your urges to eat and your desire to stay healthy. There is a way to have a little of the bad while doing mostly good by yourself.
I do think that as you get closer to your goal you will need to substitute veggies for your fruit... I found that happened with me. But, we're a ways away from there.
Today is my normal weigh-at-home day but I'm trying to avoid the scale. I also need to exercise since I skipped yesterday.
Now when I see those portions I get grossed out, just like with cigarettes. Really disgusting to think how much I ingested into my body. I like the notion of 3/4 cup grains, 4 oz meat - moving down to 1/2 cup grains, 3 oz meat eventually. Or the tennis ball, deck of cards trick. You can keep those ideas in mind when you're not using a jenny meal. You could have done that with the orzo/chix the rest of your family was eating. Of course you kind of have to account for sauces, which you can do by feeling how greasy your lips are and trying to adjust accordingly....
Post a Comment